Dairy free golden lattes. Ah, the delicious creamy beverage that packs some serious punch when it comes to health benefits. Just a few worth mentioning:
- anti-inflammatory properties aid in easing muscle soreness and can help relieve joint pain
- can reverse insulin resistance (yes, really!), lower blood glucose levels, and delay the onset of type 2 diabetes
- reduces cholesterol
- reduce infection in the gut, prevent stomach ulcers, relieve stomach pain
- curcumin aids in managing depression (without the side effects!)
- can help fight cancer
I began drinking dairy free turmeric and ginger lattes (aka golden lattes) in New York and was hooked from the first sip. The creamy goodness paired with a slight kick from the ginger (and sans any caffeine that would later cause a crash) was exactly what I craved in a drink. Add to this the fact that you can enjoy it hot or cold, and it’s the perfect year-round beverage. I was sold before I even knew all the health benefits! Incase you missed it turmeric is freaking amazing.
My recipe calls for five ingredients and can be ready in less than two minutes.
- 1.5 cups milk alternative (I prefer coconut/almond blend or macadamia nut)
- 1.5 teaspoons ground turmeric root
- 1.5 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon honey (or 1 teaspoon if you’d like it a little sweeter)
- combine all dry ingredients in a mug (turmeric, ginger, cinnamon)
- add 2 teaspoons of water to the dry ingredients and mix until a smooth paste has formed
- heat milk alternative (over the stove or in microwave) until desired temperature has been reached
- pour milk alternative into the cup and gently combine the paste with milk
- add honey and mix
That’s it! I like to store small amounts of this latte in my fridge to enjoy as a golden latte ‘shot’ that I can sip in the morning in a hurry. When you refrigerate this mix it will separate and can taste a bit bitter if not properly blended – so give it a good stir/shake before drinking.